Cardigans – what do you think of when you hear this word? Mr Rogers? Lucy? Marilyn Monroe? This clothing item has been around for a long, long time. For me, I think of my grandmothers. They wore cardigans with their dress and apron. Of course, they always had tissues stuffed in the pockets for any emergency. I can almost smell them and feel the softness of these little treasures. The smell and feel of Love.
Well, here we are in the fall of 2017 and guess what’s back? Yes, the trusted cardigan. They are everywhere and in every color imaginable. We are so happy this trend is back. We’ve seen hoodies, oversized sweatshirts with logos and patches, and really ugly sweaters. You always hear, “what’s old is new again.” So true with cardigans.
Now, we have a great new layering piece that has withstood time and class. They are known for being stylish, yet comfortable. This season, cardigans are available at every corner, so what do we do with them? They are a staple that can go from preppy to edgy with the right accessory.
Here are some ideas:
- One easy way to give a cardigan instant shape is to add a belt. Place the belt at your true waist (the smallest part) to create a sexy hourglass shape
- Open cardigans give your look a fluid, easy look and also create a strong vertical line so you look taller and thinner.
- Add a tee or tunic under your cardigan for a great layering look. Pair with skinny jeans and a plain or graphic tee.
- Add a brightly colored cardigan to make an instant update. Olive, Navy, Ivory, Maroon, or Mauve is a great addition to any outfit.
- Take a bold print like a stripe or dot and "ground" it by adding a solid cardigan. This technique also makes busy prints - like florals - look more sophisticated.
- Take a basic look and add a dramatic touch with a long, patterned cardigan. Complete the look with equally dramatic accessories like bold necklaces, earrings or a cuff, or a brightly colored purse.
- Want a sexy, relaxed look? Wear your cardigan buttoned up with nothing underneath. Or wear a camisole underneath with a little lace peeking out for a sweet touch.
- Crocheted, lacy and open-knit cardigans can add lots of visual interest to an outfit. Keep the same color family or be bold with complimentary colors.
- A cardigan makes the perfect maternity layer: it's lightweight, stretchy, comfy and a longer cardigan worn open creates a strong vertical line.
Maybe the trend is a comforting nostalgia or fun loving memories of our youth. Regardless, the cardigan has been around forever. Time may know something we don’t. If it was good enough for Lucy and my grandmothers, I think I’ll fill my closet with every color, and put tissues in each pocket. Just in case.